Saturday, May 24, 2008

Scott expects to return as Hornets coach

NBA coach of the year Byron Scott, who has the right to buy out the remainder of his contract and go to the highest bidder next season, showed little interest in leaving the Hornets on Wednesday.

“I expect to be here,” Scott said. “In my mind right now I hope to be here unless something crazy happens.”

The Hornets pay Scott about $3.5 million a year and the team’s majority owner, George Shinn, said he intends to make a fair extension offer that would make Scott one of the highest paid coaches in the league.

“Byron has done an outstanding job for us,” Shinn said. “I’m tired of flip-flopping and firing coaches. I want somebody to stay that I like. … I’m not going to be stupid. I’ll be as fair as I can to get him to stay with us.”

When Scott took over as coach following the 2003-04 season, he was the Hornets’ third coach in three seasons.

Source and entire article

No comments: